Finished your studies, got placed and looking forward to joining your first job? Congratulations! You’ve made it this far.
A new job tends to give jitters to even the most seasoned lot. Thus, when it is your first job, it’s only natural that to feel stressed.
However, the first job always has an advantage because your mind is free. It’s a completely fresh start. There are no yardsticks. There is no prior work culture experience to compare with. So, the key is that you stay positive and enthusiastic about it and bear the following in mind when you report at work. This will surely help you sail through smoothly.
- Be Suitably Attired: Your attire says a lot about you. Dress for success, not to impress! Your outfit may not be as per the most recent fashion, but it should be as per your office rules!
- Be Punctual: Keep extra time in hand. Adapt yourself to this new phase in life by practicing in advance. Change your sleep cycle, get up early, do whatever it takes to always be on time. It will always be the first impression that you make!
- Etiquette : Carry your etiquette along, for no matter what and how many degrees you hold, it can all go down the drain, in that one moment when you act crude.
- Be Confident: Be confident, in whatever you say, whatever you do.
- Be Honest : Being it your first job, no one will expect you to know everything. If you don’t know something – ask, be honest, for this is the one quality that will go long way.
- Profile Expectations : Sometimes, our job profile could be different from what we have been studying for. Not getting the desired “as studied” profile may cause dissatisfaction. Don’t over analyze it on the first day. Give it some time, settle down, find out more about what your job requires from you. Don’t judge the book by its cover.
- Communicate Effectively : Being a good listener is more important than being a good speaker. Listen carefully before responding. Follow the three C’s of communication – be Consistent, Clear and Courteous.
And finally, just stay calm. Remember that eventually, everything falls into place.
As the adage goes, “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
This article has been authored by Ruchi Malhari from Team LawSkills.